Bishop Challoner School Library
• Library is open Monday – Thursday from 8.30am – 4.30pm and each day during morning and lunch breaks. There are 10 computers which can be booked for use to do homework or private study.
• Years 7, 8 and 9 have a timetabled lesson in the library, where they are introduced to authors and new books, both fiction and non-fiction.
• Students are able to suggest books to be added to our stock.
• Book Buzz – under a scheme funded jointly by Bishop Challoner School and the Literary Trust, each Y7 student is able to choose a free book from 12 titles on offer.
• Each year, in March, we hold a two day Book Fair to celebrate World Book Day.
• For many years twelve Y8 candidates have taken part in the Hampshire Book Award. They are given 6 shortlisted titles at the beginning of March to be read by the end of June. Meeting weekly they discuss various aspects and merits of each book, this culminates with an area meeting with other schools to discuss and then vote for a winning title. Votes from all over Hampshire are cast and a winning author named. During the following term, students will meet the author and later prepare the longlist for next year’s candidates.
• We hold the following book clubs:
o KS4 Poetry Club
o Non-Fiction Book Club
o 2 x Fiction Groups
o Hampshire Book Award Group
• We also have a very active Charity Group.